[postgis-users] Best way to

louvy.joseph at gmail.com louvy.joseph at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 18:10:25 PST 2007

We are developing a solution using geoserver with postgis postresql
server. Out database is going to be huge and our projection is that
number of simultaneous users will be too huge to be handled by single
database.

What are the best practices currently available to handle this? Please
do comment  on  some of the open  thoughts we have:

1) Does it make sense to split the database based on geography? For
example, single database for each continent or a country. But we have
concerns on changes needed to our client for handling the region
boundaries and the features crossing region boundaries.

2)  We are also thinking of multi-master replication solutions. Can
somebody give opinion of a) Postgres-R  b)  PgCluster  c) Bucardo - d)
Sequoia ? Which of them is stable? Which is more mature and has more
community? Which is better: synchronous versus asynchronous replication?

3) BTW, how many users a single postgres database instance (say on a
2GHz Pentium 2GB memory system) can handle?

Thanks in advance..
Louvy Joseph