[postgis-users] How do PostGIS&SQL Server 2008 with geospatial support compare ?

Guido Lemoine guido.lemoine at jrc.it
Tue Nov 20 00:03:17 PST 2007

Plus Postgis available also on other than the SQL Server-specific OS
and at (near) zero cost. What is big about geodetic support, by the
way?

GL

Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Too soon. Probably comparable, with PostGIS having a smattering of
> features that SQL Server does not, and SQL Server having one big
> feature (geodetic support) that PostGIS does not.
>
> Steven De Vriendt wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> Maybe my question comes a bit soon, still I wonder how the two
>> compare. For now we use PostGIS and SQL Server 2005 next
>> to each other in our organization.Spatial support looks promising
>> but I don't know if it's worth to take the SQL 2008-spatial support
>> in account.
>> (read: if the price tag will justify SQL server above PostGIS).
>>
>> Cheers
>> Steven

Guido Lemoine
Joint Research Centre, European Commission
Institute for the Protection and Security of the Citizen (IPSC)
Support to External Security
Via E. Fermi, 2749 TP 267 Ispra 21027 (VA), Italy
Tel. +39 0332 786239 (direct line) Fax. +39 0332 785154
WWW: http://ses.jrc.it
Disclaimer:
Views expressed are those of the individual and do not represent
the views of the European Commission