[postgis-users] 3D maps

Randy George rkgeorge at cadmaps.com
Wed Nov 21 05:44:45 PST 2007

Hi Paul,

Andreas is right about using Google Earth as a simple rendering viewer. You
have to use GE DTM and GE to view it but it's pretty easy to write vectors
to KML. It's especially easy if you can drop Geoserver onto your server and
ask for KML formatted output from your PostGIS table.

If rendering is sufficient you could also use some more flexible rendering
tools like Java3D or WPF. This way you can use your existing DTM as a 3DMesh
and draw the vectors over it. This approach is the ultimate densifier since
the vectors are typically rasterized and then draped on the mesh surface. If
you have field surveyed DTM or Lidar this is probably a good way to go.

The draw back of any rendering approach, though, is the loss of the 3D
vectors, which in some cases are useful.

randy