[postgis-users] GIS Project

Bradley McLain bradley_mclain at debortoliwines.com
Wed Nov 21 22:42:40 PST 2007

Currently I am working on an Open Source GIS project and was looking for
some advice on which way to go with it.

What I am trying to do is use an openlayers front end which is queryable and
searchable to display custom geodata (raster and vector) of our business
using Google Maps as the backdrop.

Currently I have Mapserver serving the custom data and OpenLayers importing
and meshing it with Google maps (with some projection errors causing the
maps to not line up perfect, but thats another topic for another day).

I want to then hopefully use Openlayers to create a search function so users
can search addresses of salespersons, growers etc and then they will be
extracted from a database and the relevant data displayed. This data needs
to be easily maintainable so it can be regularly and easily be updated.

I have read a little about the postgreSQL database and PostGIS backend and
was thinking about using this to house my salepersons etc data. However I
have no knowledge or either of these programs.

How do you suggest I go about this?

Is what I am trying to do achievable?

Has anything like this been done before and are there links to it?

I would be very interested to hear all of your opinions on this and any tips
or hints you may have.

Cheers

Brad