[postgis-users] Can ArcView view the maps stored in postGIS tables?

kreshna_iceheart at yahoo.com kreshna_iceheart at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 27 20:31:32 PST 2007

Hi, I'm new in this mailing list and I'm still a
newbie.

The organization I'm working for still stores their
GIS maps in shape files (SHP). Recently, the number of
SHP files had become unmanageable as the map grows.
Thus, they're looking for spatial database product to
store their aps.

Yesterday I showed postGIS being viewed by Quantum
GIS, and my superiors became interested in open-source
spatial database. Problem is, our organization is
currently using ESRI ArcView, and they are reluctant
to "migrate" their current viewer to ArcView. Bottom
line; we has to retain ArcView as their GIS viewer.

We are not creating our own maps though; the map
creation is outsourced to third-party GIS consultants,
so we only use ESRI to view the maps.

My question is: can ArcView view the map stored in
postGIS tables? And if they can, is the feature "out
of the box", or do we need some third-party connector?

Thanks,
-Kresh

So be it. If saying "NO" means being alone, then to hell with love, with women, with marriage, with God, religions, bars, nightclubs, computer games, and all the shit life keeps pumping at me. I'll walk alone, but with freedom and a healed pride.