[postgis-users] Got VACUUM reccomendation in newly-created postGIS table

kreshna_iceheart at yahoo.com kreshna_iceheart at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 29 00:59:14 PST 2007

Ah, I just remember about something:

When I tried postGIS for the first time, I followed
the guide here:
http://www.bostongis.com/?content_name=postgis_tut01

I downloaded the "towns" shape file from here:
ftp://data.massgis.state.ma.us/pub/shape/state/towns.exe

And executed ran shp2pgsql to create the necessary SQL
statement:
shp2pgsql -s 26986 -c TOWNS_POLY towns > towns.sql

But when I went to the towns table from pgAdmin, it
gave me the following warning:

Running VACUUM recommended

The estimated rowcount on the table "towns" deviates
significantly from the actual rowcount. You should run
VACUUM ANALYZE on this table.

(Etc, etc)

Well, the towns table is a freshly-made table; created
by converting a shape file to SQL statements. Now how
the estimated rowcount on the table deviates
significanly from the actual rowcount? And if I run
VACUUM ANALYZE, there won't be anything bad happen,
will there?

Thanks,
-Kresh