[postgis-users] Can ArcView view the maps stored in postGIStables?

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Thu Nov 29 03:49:12 PST 2007

Since no one has mentioned this one already, I thought I would throw it
out as food for thought.  It might not work in your case since it
requires some knowledge of php and UMN Mapserver (which I must add iruns
on pretty much any webserver you throw at it and not as painful to setup
as ArcIMS ArcGIS stuff.  So does PHP by the way).  I'm not quite sure if
it works with the newest mapserver (Mapserver 5.0) and PHP 5.

Refractions had developed an Arc IMS emulator a while back which makes a
UMN Mapserver service look like an Arc IMS service.  Haven't had a need
for it, but I suspect it would work well in your arcview viewer
especially if you are using the old ArcIMS stuff which it sounds like
you are.

http://mapserver.refractions.net/

So maybe take a look at that and perhaps Refractions can fill in on any
other details necessary.  The nice thing about that approach is you can
use the Arc IMS emulator for your old ESRI arcview clients, and the
built in WMS/WFS interface of UMN mapserver for OGC compliant viewers so
would serve both old and new.

Thanks,
Regina