[postgis-users] indexing images stored in PostGres

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Wed Oct 3 10:49:51 PDT 2007

My religious objections are that the use cases described for rasters in
the database don't actually get any leverage from the database
infrastructure.  The pgRaster model, for example, is basically a direct
mapping of "bunch of tiffs on the file system" in a pretty relational
model. But apps get no particular advantage out of the RDBMS model that
they wouldn't equally receive from just using LibTIFF to access TIFFs.

Why store rasters in a database?
- Because it will be faster? No. In fact, a member of this list did the
research and could not find a single storage method, BLOB, Objects,
ByteA, relational, that was faster than just doing file access.
- Because it will be easier to manage? Just storing the metadata about
your images in the database, and leaving the images elsewhere achieves
this affect, without adding the overhead of dealing with terrabytes of
data opaquely stored in the database.
- So you can do raster analysis in the database? I can see the validity
in this, for the same reason doing vector analysis in the database is
powerful. The database serves as an integration point between vector,
raster, and attribute processing functionality.

Storing imagery in the database, solely for the purposes of extracting
it later to draw on a map, that strikes me as pointless.

P.

--

   Paul Ramsey
   Refractions Research