[postgis-users] (no subject)

Gregory Williamson Gregory.Williamson at digitalglobe.com
Fri Oct 5 03:23:19 PDT 2007

This is sort of a broad question, especially without any details about the type of application (OLTP ? Data Warehouse ?  What volumes in ? How many connections needed ? etc.).

That said, it is a rare database that is limited by CPU power, although that can happen. If you can buy enough RAM to fit all (or most) of your data into memory then applications which are more-or-less read only will be very fast. (But writing data still needs to go to disk.)

Mostly databases have issues moving lots of data to/from disk, so to that end I generally lean towards recommending lots of disks (more spindles better than sheer RPMs usually), battery backed cache if you can, both for speed and for safety, and don't use RAID5 unless your data is not very important.

Try searching the PostgreSQL archives (see <http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/> and performance list in particular) for previous questions like this. Since postGIS builds on the database engine for most purposes a good understanding of the database itself are useful.

HTH,

Greg Williamson
Senior DBA
GlobeXplorer LLC, a DigitalGlobe company

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information and must be protected in accordance with those provisions. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

(My corporate masters made me say this.)