[postgis-users] Postresql 8.3 beta and windows problem ...

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk
Wed Oct 24 13:56:48 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-24 at 13:05 -0400, Ann Holt wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I am currently trying to evaluate upgrading to Postgresql 8.3, but
>
> having problems even getting the complete database up and running
>
> because I can’t get PostGIS installed with the database properly.
> So,
>
> first I’m running in a Windows environment and apparently there were
>
> some changes made in 8.3 that force the encoding for the database to
>
> match the locale of the windows setting.  That means that I have to
>
> set the encoding for the database to WIN1252 instead of UTF8.  This
>
> causes the PostGIS installer to die when it tries to create the
>
> template because it tries to create it with UTF8 encoding and
> postgres
>
> won’t allow that.
>

> I then thought to try and manually do the install, and so copied the
>
> dll from the lib in my 8.1 directory to the 8.3 directory, dumped the
>
> template from 8.1, created the template database in 8.3 with the
> right
>
> encoding and tried a restore.  The functions that referenced the dll
>
> came back with an error : incompatible library (location of the file):
>
> missing magic block.
>

> Thanks for any help,
>
> Ann

Hi Ann,

I've been testing the Win32 PostGIS installer with PostgreSQL 8.3 beta,
and unfortunately there are several (major) changes that need to be made
to installer in order to accommodate this.

I've been working closely with Dave Page to ensure that PostGIS will
become part of the new StackBuilder infrastructure, but there are still
some remaining issues outstanding (FWIW the encoding issue will be fixed
with the release of the next beta). As soon as we have something that
works for both of us, we shall make it available for download.

Many thanks,

Mark.

--
ILande - Open Source Consultancy