[postgis-users] GeomUnion Bug?

Charlie Savage cfis at savagexi.com
Fri Sep 7 08:51:57 PDT 2007

Hi Carl,

> Charlie ,
>
> neither of those polygons are valid
>
> repeating points, self intersecting and the second one is not a closed
> linestring

Interesting - that is what PostGis/Geos produces when you do this:

select astext(envelope(GeomFromText('POINT(-104 40)')))

"POLYGON((-104 40,-104 40,-104 40,-104 40,-104 40))"

But you are right, PostGis doesn't think they are valid:

select isvalid(envelope(GeomFromText('POINT(-104 40)')))

False

And this did work in older versions of GEOS - maybe it shouldn't have.

So here is my problem then.  I have a map, a user enters a point.  I
want to store the bounding box.  So I use the envelope function as
above.  User enters another point.  Find its bounds.  Then union them
together.  I don't want to recalculate the bounds based on all the
points each time because its too expensive finding all the constituent
geometries.

Ideas?

Charlie