R: [postgis-users] ST_<function> vs <function>

P.Rizzi Ag.Mobilità Ambiente paolo.rizzi at ama-mi.it
Tue Sep 11 02:57:07 PDT 2007

> automatic index use

So, using the new ST_ functions, one won't have to use && anymore, that's great!!!
But what about the old non-ST_ functions, are they mapped to the new ones or not???
That is, if I use the old non-ST_ functions will I have to use an explicit && or not???
And the other way around, if I use the new ST_ functions _and_ an explicit &&,
will it be transparently optimized or will I incur a performance penalty???

Just to know how to write SQL that works well with both old and new PostGIS.

Bye
Paolo Rizzi

http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-commits/2007-June/000074.ht