[postgis-users] using simplify and snaptogrid for a global coastline plot

Greg Williamson Gregory.Williamson at digitalglobe.com
Tue Sep 18 16:36:38 PDT 2007

Chris --

chris hinkle wrote:
> Hi gang,
>
> Some background info before I present my questions:
>
> I've been teaching my self PostGIS and GIS in general for that last
> few weeks.
>
> My main source of "bootstrapping" education material has been the
> O'Reilly book, Web Mapping Illustrated, which introduced me to PostGIS
> and OGR.
>
> My workflow is this:
>
> 1.) Find data on the web
> 2.) Get it into a shapefile somehow
> 3.) ogr2ogr the shapefiles into PostGIS

You can usually load shapefiles directly into postgres with the
shp2pgsql program that is part of postGIS.

> 4.) ogr2ogr the postgis data into GML files using sql to refine the
> data and edit the geometry for the specific need.

<...snip...>
Unfamiliar with this but you might take scan the archives for this month
and look for posts about KML and google -- someone provided some
snippets that may be of interest / relevance.

Certainly preprocessing data is the way to go and between postGIS and
OGR you've got a lot of tools -- but this is starting to exceed anything
I can even pretend to now about ...

Best of luck,

Greg Williamson
Senior DBA
GlobeXplorer LLC, a DigitalGlobe company

confidential and privileged information and must be protected in
accordance with those provisions. Any unauthorized review, use,
copies of the original message.

(My corporate masters made me say this.)