[postgis-users] Gist and points

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Thu Sep 20 07:17:00 PDT 2007

I checked my point records and they don't have them either.  I'm
guessing that there is no benefit to having a bbox on a point geometry
since a point is lighter than the bbox.  So I'm guessing when you put a
gist index on point geometries, it doesn't wrap a bbox around it as it
does with polygons.

I found this old postgis newgroup item too on further inspection.  I
assume this still applies.

http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-users/2005-October/0095
50.html