[postgis-users] How to store many tables

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Tue Sep 25 06:36:30 PDT 2007

Schemas don't really control where tables are stored.  Schemas are more
of an organization structure which for that many customers you would
probably want to do anyway just to keep your sanity.

The downside of using schemas is that you have to prefix your tables
with the schema names when you use them in selects.

Now for storing your tables in different locations to optimize speed -
you probably want to fiddle around with RAID configurations and
PostgreSQL table spaces (table spaces were released around PostgreSQL
8.0-8.1).

You can control what table spaces a table sits in on a case by case
basis and a table space maps to a location on disk.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/manage-ag-tablespaces.html

Hope that helps,
Regina