[postgis-users] postgis tuning parameters

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 09:16:19 PDT 2007

Hi,

I have looked over a couple documents on tuning a postgis server:

1.
http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-users/2006-March/
011539.html
2. http://www.powerpostgresql.com/Downloads/annotated_conf_80.html

When performing complex queries, with thousands of records and
geometries I am noticing that the postmaster process never exceeds 1%
of my system's memory (2Gb). I have tried setting the shared_buffers
parameter to values > 2000 ... but this only leads to an error when the
postgres server is restarted: cannot allocate this much mem, check the
SHMMAX kernel parameter.

Perhaps some answers on are this page:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/database/RHDB-2.1-Manual/admin_user/
kernel-resources.html

or in the minds of people on the list. The machine in question is
mostly used for such queries and I would like postgis to be able to
better utilize the resources available.

Cheers,

Dylan

--