[postgis-users] is possible to use a subset of the srid table?

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Fri Sep 28 08:07:01 PDT 2007

How short on space are you?  From my calculation - the space taken up by
the spatial ref table is a little under 2MB.

If you did want to save space by keeping only the records you need, I
think the only issue arises is should you have an application that needs
to transform the spatial geometry to another projection you don't have
listed in your table, then it will probably break. If you can guarantee
no such situation will arise or you don't care, then you should be fine.

I'm not sure about the distance_sphere and other *sphere *  functions
whether they use any entries in the database other than the one in the
SRID for the particular geometries passed in.  I suspect they do not so
you should be fine there.

Hope that helps,
Regina