[postgis-users] PostGis reports

Jose Gomez-Dans jgomezdans at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 13:04:34 PDT 2007

Gus,

On 9/27/07, Gustavo Ces <g.ces at pettra.es> wrote:
>     Is there any report tool for postgis? I have to make gugols of
> description pages about my data. Easy to do with word&access, but i´d like
> to feed with features images automatically. In other words, is there any
> tool for make reports with data and cartography from postgis?

We produce large numbers of long reports, which are updated every so
often. To do this, the cartography is produced by a mix of
Python+Matplotlib (data off PostGIS), GMT (for raster sources), and
Matplotlib again (graphs of all sorts). The tabular data is processed
into LaTeX table environments, and the whole lot is blended into a
single latex file, which is then compiled and results in our PDF,
which gets distributed.

The advantages are that the end result is nice, and usually results in
relatively small PDF files, which look quite good, are indexed... The
disadvantages stem probably from the fact that you need to know a wee
bit of LaTeX or be willing to learn, and that getting your report in
shape takes some time.

Hope that helps!
Jose