[postgis-users] TIGER/Line Shapefiles released

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Apr 3 20:40:18 PDT 2008

Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Stephen Frost (sfrost at snowman.net) wrote:
>> If anyone's interested in the scripts used to load the data (they're
>> pretty simple, really), I'd be happy to provide them.
>
> Alright, since it's apparently kind of popular, I went ahead and put the
> script up here:
>
> http://snowman.net/tiger/
>
> I also included a README.txt that is essentially what I wrote up to the
> first person who asked me for the script.  Please let me know if you
> improve upon it or find problems with it.

Stephen,

I added to process_tiger.sh:

# User to connect to database with or use USER=$LOGNAME
USER="postgres"

and in vi did:

%s/\<psql\>/psql -U $USER/g

to update the script.

Question on the README.txt

-n     Load national-level data
-b     Load state-level data
-c     Load county-level data

Do the above options load all the data at the given level or do I also
need to run it for each state and county with the options below?

-s <2-digit state code>  Individual state code to load
-c <3-digit or 5-digit county code>  Individual county code to load

Does:

cd /u/srcdata/tiger2007fe
./process_tiger.sh -n -b -c

load all the data? Assuming that that directory is a mirror of the
Census download directory.

Thanks,
   -Stephen Woodbridge
    http://imaptools.com/