[postgis-users] TIGER/Line Shapefiles released

Stephen Frost sfrost at snowman.net
Thu Apr 3 19:54:08 PDT 2008

Stephen,

* Stephen Woodbridge (woodbri at swoodbridge.com) wrote:
> I added to process_tiger.sh:
>
> # User to connect to database with or use USER=$LOGNAME
> USER="postgres"

Ah, sure, makes sense.  We user Kerberos for our authentication, so I
tend to forget about user/pw authentication issues.

> and in vi did:
>
> %s/\<psql\>/psql -U $USER/g
>
> to update the script.

All of the options passed to psql really should be done as options to
the script.  I'll look at adding that (and -U support) sometime
tomorrow.

> Question on the README.txt
>
> -n     Load national-level data
> -b     Load state-level data
> -c     Load county-level data
>
> Do the above options load all the data at the given level or do I also
> need to run it for each state and county with the options below?

Yes, by default it'll load all data at that level.

> -s <2-digit state code>  Individual state code to load
> -c <3-digit or 5-digit county code>  Individual county code to load

These are used if you, for example, have to reload a specific state
and/or county.  I had the luxury of doing this when someone decided to
restart the database in the middle of my data load.. :)

> Does:
>
> cd /u/srcdata/tiger2007fe
> ./process_tiger.sh -n -b -c
>
> load all the data? Assuming that that directory is a mirror of the
> Census download directory.

Yes, it should, though it expects to be run one level up from
'TIGER2007FE', unless you adjust the "BASE" environment variable at the
top of the script.

	Thanks,

		Stephen