[postgis-users] Loading Tiger2007fe data - Thoughts on using inherited tables

Stephen Frost sfrost at snowman.net
Fri Apr 4 11:10:11 PDT 2008

Stephen,

* Stephen Woodbridge (woodbri at swoodbridge.com) wrote:
> Have look into using inherited tables? This would allow you to have a
> nation view or a state view of the county data. View being used in the
> literal not postgres in this case.

Honestly, I havn't.  I'm really not all that keen on inheiritance in PG
anyway.  What I'm probably going to do instead though, so you know, is
combine all of the county-level data into state-level tables, and then
create a view across the state tables to generate a national table.
This partitioning should make things go pretty quickly, imv.  I'll
certainly let folks know if I'm happy with it or not.

	Thanks,

		Stephen