[postgis-users] Loading Tiger2007fe data - Thoughts on using inherited tables

Stephen Frost sfrost at snowman.net
Fri Apr 4 11:40:27 PDT 2008

* Paul Ramsey (pramsey at cleverelephant.ca) wrote:
> Look at "constraint exclusion" as a strategy...

Yes, certainly this approach will be taking advantage of constraint
exclusion.

> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/ddl-partitioning.html
>
> It actually *does* use inheritance, but it does fancy query re-writes too.

It can also be done with a simple view, and since we're not going to be
updating the tiger tables, or adding new rows, or adding new tables,
it's alost simpler/easier/cleaner to just create the necessary views
once (with the correct where clauses with constant values) than set up
inheiritance and whatnot.

	Thanks,

		Stephen