[postgis-users] Loading Tiger2007fe data - Thoughts on usinginherited tables

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Fri Apr 4 12:57:08 PDT 2008

The only caveat there is that constraint exclusion only works with range
queries and range constraints or at least I haven't had success getting
it work with spatial indexes.

So if you put a constraint on state code or something of that sort, it
will work great.  But for super performance a bounding box constraint
exclusion would be even better.

Interestingly enough there does appear to be some speed benefit (at
least I've noticed) with using inheritance even without constraint
exclusion.  My guess is something along the line of parallel reads.

It would be really neat if spatial indexes could work with constraint
exclusion.  Has anyone found a way around this?

I have a couple of thoughts on the matter which unfortunately involve
introducing helper functions that will flip a bounding box constraint
into a range constraint. Haven't fleshed it out completely though.

Thanks,
Regina