[postgis-users] Size of FTDate field in dbf files

Peter Hopfgartner peter.hopfgartner at r3-gis.com
Thu Apr 10 02:54:06 PDT 2008

Dear mailing list members,

we had some problems when editing shape files containing dates generated
with pgsql2shp. In particular, editing these files with ArcGIS and some
OS desptop GIS (QGIS or OpenJump, sorry I can't remember exactly) the
attributes where shifted by some white spaces.

Looking at the files generated with pgsql2shp, we noted that  a length
of 10 bytes is assigned to date fields (see also current the svn
snapshot, loader/pgsql2shp.c:2735,2736), in apparent contrast with the
dbf file format specification
(http://www.dbase.com/knowledgebase/int/db7_file_fmt.htm), which
specifies that these field are 8 bytes long.

Best regards,

Peter Hopfgartner and Sergio Segala
R3 GIS

http://www.r3-gis.com