[postgis-users] Proper Installation of Postgres and Postgis on 10.5 Intel

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Thu Apr 10 13:39:01 PDT 2008

If there is a crash then check for a crashlog (Console.app).  It may
be a problem with postgis handling bad data, or it may be as simple as
a library linking issue.

On Apr 10, 2008, at 3:23 PM, Stefan Schwarzer wrote:

> Cheers William,
>
> thanks for your engagement!
>
> I sent you an email a couple of days ago, which showed the same
> problems as we had before. Generally, I would say that it always
> comes down to the same thing: The postgres server craches when
> importing/restoring dumped  tables with geometries.
>
> It just comes to my mind, that, perhaps, it's not a problem of
> postgres/postgis installation, but a problem of the tables within
> the (old) database, which i try to import?! I should try (tomorrow)
> to import a couple of "known" shapefiles, as the ones delivered with
> the ESRI stuff for example...
>
> Thanks for your input guys, I will try, with new motivation, to get
> my beast running tomorrow morning...
>
> Stef
>
>> Hi Stefan,
>>
>> Last time we talked you were having problems with the confusion of
>> the postgres system user and postgres role and the automatic
>> startup of postgres.
>>
>> I'd like to get it working for you, so don't give up yet.

>>> I would, after all the experiences I went through, ask the
>>> question slightly different... :
>>>
>>> Can anybody give me installation instructions on how to install
>>> postgres & postgis on Leopard (with a MacPro)? Either by hand-
>>> compiling or with MacPorts? Or some other stuff? Strange enough,
>>> even the kyngchaos libs didn't work, even after having completely
>>> re-installed my machine...
>>>
>>> Thanks thousand times for any such advice!
>>>
>>> Stef
>>
>> -----
>> William Kyngesburye <kyngchaos*at*kyngchaos*dot*com>
>> http://www.kyngchaos.com/
>>
>> "Those people who most want to rule people are, ipso-facto, those
>> least suited to do it."
>>
>> - A rule of the universe, from the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

[Trillian]  What are you supposed to do WITH a maniacally depressed
robot?

[Marvin]  You think you have problems?  What are you supposed to do if
you ARE a maniacally depressed robot?  No, don't try and answer, I'm
50,000 times more intelligent than you and even I don't know the
answer...

- HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy