[postgis-users] Ubuntu 8.04 and PostGIS / GEOS versions again

Colin Wetherbee cww at denterprises.org
Fri Apr 25 13:05:48 PDT 2008

Chris Hermansen wrote:
> Colin Weatherbee has kindly corrected my total lack of e-mail polish
> and further advised that Ubuntu 8.04 PostGIS and GEOS offerings are
> right up to date.

I hope that works out. :)

> That being the case, I will postpone asking the list about
> alternatives to building new PostGIS related components from source
> when one's server distros are getting a bit long in tooth until I
> really need to know.

Your previous email, I believe, suggested you were more interested in
using packages than building from source.

In case you're interested in something slightly different...

Ubuntu provides package-creation tools, if you need to bundle your own
packages from a source build.

I use Debian, on which Ubuntu is based, and if I were going to build my
own packages, I'd start by reading up on the dpkg-dev package.  It might
be called something slightly different in Ubuntu.

`apt-cache show dpkg-dev` says:

Recommends: build-essential, gcc | c-compiler
[...]
  This package contains the tools (including dpkg-source) required to
  unpack, build and upload Debian source packages.
  .
  Most Debian source packages will require additional tools to build -
  for example, most packages need the `make' and the C compiler `gcc'.
[...]
Homepage: http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Dpkg

Colin