[postgis-users] can't find lwlgeom

Chris mollis cmollis at objectlab.com
Mon Apr 28 04:43:21 PDT 2008

I've been googling around the web, and my problem appears to be fairly
common.. although I haven't seen a good explanation for it..  I've
installed PG 8.3.1.. and postgis.

Looks like everything installs correctly..  when I run make check, I get
the (somewhat common) can't load share lib $libdir/

psql:lwpostgis.sql:44: NOTICE:  type "histogram2d" is not yet defined
DETAIL:  Creating a shell type definition.
psql:lwpostgis.sql:44: ERROR:  could not access file
"$libdir/liblwgeom.so.1": No such file or directory

**NOTE:  when I run ldconfig -v  liblwgeom.so.1 shows up.. but the
original error was "$libdir/liblwgeom" not found.. I actually modified
lwpostgis.sql to use liblwgeom.so.1   What should it be ?

This error seems common enough that there would be a pretty simple
explanation for it..  how I can be sure that the libraries were  built
correctly?

Kind of stumped right now.. not really clear what it's supposed to be.
ANY help would be appreciated.. thanks

here is the output of PG_CONFIG

BINDIR = /usr/local/pgsql/bin
DOCDIR = /usr/local/pgsql/doc
INCLUDEDIR = /usr/local/pgsql/include
PKGINCLUDEDIR = /usr/local/pgsql/include
INCLUDEDIR-SERVER = /usr/local/pgsql/include/server
LIBDIR = /usr/local/pgsql/lib
PKGLIBDIR = /usr/local/pgsql/lib
LOCALEDIR =
MANDIR = /usr/local/pgsql/man
SHAREDIR = /usr/local/pgsql/share
SYSCONFDIR = /usr/local/pgsql/etc
PGXS = /usr/local/pgsql/lib/pgxs/src/makefiles/pgxs.mk
CONFIGURE = '--with-python' '--with-libxml' '--with-libxslt'
CC = gcc
CPPFLAGS = -D_GNU_SOURCE -I/usr/include/libxml2
CFLAGS = -O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline
-Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wendif-labels -fno-strict-aliasing -fwrapv
CFLAGS_SL = -fpic
LDFLAGS = -L/usr/lib -Wl,-rpath,'/usr/local/pgsql/lib'
LDFLAGS_SL =
LIBS = -lpgport -lxslt -lxml2 -lz -lreadline -lcrypt -ldl -lm
VERSION = PostgreSQL 8.3.1