[postgis-users] can't find lwlgeom

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Tue Apr 29 02:51:12 PDT 2008

Hi Chris,

> I've been googling around the web, and my problem appears to be fairly
> common.. although I haven't seen a good explanation for it..  I've
> installed PG 8.3.1.. and postgis.
>
> Looks like everything installs correctly..  when I run make check, I get
> the (somewhat common) can't load share lib $libdir/
>
> psql:lwpostgis.sql:44: NOTICE:  type "histogram2d" is not yet defined
> DETAIL:  Creating a shell type definition.
> psql:lwpostgis.sql:44: ERROR:  could not access file
> "$libdir/liblwgeom.so.1": No such file or directory
>
> **NOTE:  when I run ldconfig -v  liblwgeom.so.1 shows up.. but the
> original error was "$libdir/liblwgeom" not found.. I actually modified
> lwpostgis.sql to use liblwgeom.so.1   What should it be ?

lwpostgis.sql was fine it its original form using $libdir (it get
substituted by PostgreSQL with the correct server library directory at
load time).

> This error seems common enough that there would be a pretty simple
> explanation for it..  how I can be sure that the libraries were  built
> correctly?
> Kind of stumped right now.. not really clear what it's supposed to be.
> ANY help would be appreciated.. thanks

If liblwgeom.so exists, this error normally means that liblwgeom can't
find one or more of its dependent libraries such as GEOS and/or PROJ.4.
Check your ld.so.conf to make sure it includes /usr/local/lib if you
built by hand, and then don't forget to restart the PostgreSQL server so
it can pick up the changes.

HTH,

Mark.

--