[postgis-users] View or New Table?

Sufficool, Stanley ssufficool at rov.sbcounty.gov
Wed Apr 30 14:17:21 PDT 2008

I would think this depends on your back-end storage. If you have
substantial backend storage, then the seek time on a view using a
constraint on an indexed column should be negligible.

However, if you are running a single disk, the separate (non-fragmented)
table _may_ be slightly faster.

This is based on no knowledge of how PostgreSQL breaks up it's table
spaces into file system functions. Most ORDBMS's have files for index
and files for data (or in MS, one huge file) which causes non-cached
index data to cause moderate disk thrashing on initial scans. However
once the index is cached, you are only looking at seek times between
rows/sectors in the data.

If anyone wishes to tell me that I'm talking out my ----, please do. I
would like to know what PG optimizes in cases like these.