[postgis-users] View or New Table?

Dylan Lorimer edylan at google.com
Wed Apr 30 13:54:03 PDT 2008

Hi,

Perhaps an obvious question, but I was wondering if there is a huge speed
hit when running queries against a table vs running the same queries against
a view of a larger table constrained to the data that is pertinent.

Concrete example: millions of points all over the world, but I only care
about those over Africa. I could either create a new table storing only
those points over Africa, or I could create a view on the original table
that is constrained by a join on a table containing the borders of the
African continent.

If I have requisite indexes in place, will it still be faster to use the new
table instead of the view?
Cheers,
dylan

--
Dylan Lorimer | Strategic Partner Management
415.573.2909 (Grand Central) | 650.644.0182 (Fax)

If you received this communication by mistake, please don't forward it to
anyone else (it may contain confidential or privileged information), please
erase all copies of it, including all attachments, and please let the sender
know it went to the wrong person. Thanks.