[postgis-users] Line To Path

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Wed Apr 30 15:20:15 PDT 2008

Bob,

If I understand you correctly, I think you want to use one of the following

SELECT somefield, ST_Union(the_geom)
FROM sometable
GROUP BY somefield

So lets say you want to collapse 3 rows into 1 then you just need to group
by some common field.

E.g. if somefield = 1 for your 3 records, then those would get rolled into
the same record.

The above will give you a LINESTRING or MULTILINESTRING.  If you have all
LINESTRINGS, then may be more efficient to do this.  The below will first
collapse all with common somefield into a MULTILINESTRING and then the
LineMerge will do the best it can to stitch back into a single line string.
This is not possible with completely disjoint linestrings.

SELECT somefield, ST_LineMerge(ST_Collect(the_geom))
FROM sometable
GROUP BY somefield

If you are using the older version of Postgis, you can just take out the ST_
in the examples I have above.

Hope that helps,
Regina