[postgis-users] Newbie Question

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Tue Aug 5 12:46:14 PDT 2008

Well, that's the opposite of the usual point-in-polygon use case
(given an existing set of polygons and a point input, tell me what
polygons it falls within), but it's equally tractable.

You need an input interface, and that will be the hardest part of your
task. You can do something in Google Maps, if you like, then stuff the
geometry down into a script (php, asp, whatever) that in turn
inscribes it into a SQL statement ala:

select points.id, points.name from points where
st_contains('POLYGON(....)', points.geometry);

Where the 'POLYGON(...)' is constructed by your script from your user
interface input.

Enjoy,

P.