[postgis-users] PostGIS 1.3.3 on Windows XP Unstable

Bresnahan, Mike Mike.Bresnahan at bestbuy.com
Mon Aug 18 13:37:27 PDT 2008

Yes, and AFAIK, you need to create an empty shapefile ahead of time to
output the result to, otherwise ArcMap will add a new row/feature to the
existing layer, which most likely is not what anyone would want. Note
the layer st99_d00_union in my screenshots. It is not intuitive at all,
I know. I would simply use one of the stand-alone tools if I knew of one
that performs the operation I want. I tried the Dissolve tool, like you
suggested, (specifying no attributes) and it appeared to perform an
aggregate union in 3.0 seconds. ArcMap might be faster because it does
everything in-memory (i.e. it does no file I/O).