[postgis-users] Memory problem with ST_Within

Birgit Laggner birgit.laggner at vti.bund.de
Mon Aug 25 03:33:49 PDT 2008

Frank Koormann schrieb:
> * Birgit Laggner <birgit.laggner at vti.bund.de> [080821 09:59]:
>
>> Hallo Regina, hallo Frank,
>>
>> thanks for your suggestions!
>>
>> Leaving out the_geom didn't solve the problem - I still ran out of memory.
>> I attached my postgresql.conf settings and the result of the EXPLAIN
>> ANALYSE SELECT to this e-mail.
>>

> Hm, the explain analyse finishes successfully. Explain analyse actually
> execute the query (in your case in 675 milliseconds), so the problem seems
> to be returning the results to pgAdmin, assuming that the queries run on
> the same data set.
>
> Your memory related settings are already significantly increased.
> Without knowledge about your system if too high.
>
> Other points:
> - What is the full error message?
> - Do you have more success when using psql instead of pgAdmin?
>
> Regards,
>
>         Frank

Hallo Frank,

this is actually a misunderstanding: of course, the Explain analyse did
not run on the full dataset either, therefore I started the Explain
analyse for my test dataset, which I used to test if my query is working
at all.

The full error message is:
ERROR: Memory exhausted
SQL Status:53200
Detail: Failed on request of size 32.

I'm still testing if psql is more successful then pgAdmin. Results
tomorrow...

Thank you!

Regards,

Birgit.

Mark Cave-Ayland schrieb:
> Hi Birgit,
>
> If PostgreSQL stops due to lack of memory, it generally dumps
> information about memory usage into the server log file before it
> terminates. Can you see any such information in your PostgreSQL log
> file? If so, posting it here would help greatly, along with the output
> of "SELECT postgis_full_version()".
>

> ATB,
>
> Mark.
Hallo Mark,

this is my postgis version:

"POSTGIS="1.3.3" GEOS="3.0.0-CAPI-1.4.1" PROJ="Rel. 4.6.0, 21 Dec 2007"
USE_STATS"

The memory usage information of the PostgreSQL log file, I attached to
the e-mail (pg.log).

Thank you!

Regards,

Birgit.