[postgis-users] schema name for a temp table?

David William Bitner bitner at gyttja.org
Tue Aug 26 10:28:55 PDT 2008

Interoperability and standards.  The geometry_columns table provides
metadata that is required for standards compliance and used by many client
programs.  Internally, it does nothing.  The other thing that
AddGeometryColumn() does that is valuable is to create constraints on the
geometry column to make sure that all records are of the same geometry type
and in the same srid.