[postgis-users] Postgis and open layers

Luigi Castro Cardeles luigi.cardeles at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 07:08:28 PDT 2008

Hi,

hum, maybe what you want with st_buffer is a WPS? this service let you do
dynamic stuff with your data. But integrate this with openlayers... i don't
do that... yet :D.

if your data are in postgis, you could put a WFS or WMS, with many tables.
You can create a temp table, or a view from a select (passing the variables
via a form) and them you put that view at mapserver (add an entry in
geometry_columns for that view).
If you don't want to edit your data (change the vectors) you could make many
WMS and put a view(created from a buffer) in a another WMS, so when the user
want to do a buffer stuff, he do that only at that table or some features
from that table.

Making a dynamic buffer can turn in a performance nightmare... i think.

Maybe you could cache some buffer to gain speed. just some ideas.

[]'s

2008/8/27 Gustavo Ces <g.ces at pettra.es>

>  Hi Luigi,
>
>     but with WFS  i´ll have to create the table for each query and serve
> that table, won´t i? I don´t know very well WFS, but if a i want to make a
> buffer table with ST_buffer ( for example) i have to create a table and then
> serve it as WFS ( automatically, coding it in my application). If a i need
> to change the distance in St_Buffer funcion, then i have to recreate that
> table and serve it as WFS... or maybe there is a something in WFS
> specification to make these types of querys? ( not queries over the result
> table!)
> What i want to do is postgis analysis capacity viewed in open layers. Maybe
> there is a better solution...
> Thanks for answering,
>
> Gus

Luigi Castro Cardeles