[postgis-users] Arc catalog (Arc GIS) import

Stefan Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 08:33:53 PST 2008

I can't really follow, what your requirements are: You wrote initially:
> A colleague told me that ArcGIS could import postgis layers directly, without using Ziggis.

So, you have an ArcGIS accessing datasource through ArcSDE, and now
want to access PostGIS datasources (read-only)?

General note: I'm trying to be very careful with ESRI's product names
as I think their naming conventions are very confusing (from a recent
'ArcNews': "ArcSDE 8/9 and ArcInfo 8/9 are designed to work together
very closely. ArcSDE 8/9 is available in two editions: ArcSDE 8
Enterprise (formerly known as SDE) and ArcSDE 8 Extension to ArcInfo 8
(formerly known simply as ArcSDE)". See this diagram here:
http://www.esri.com/news/arcnews/spring04articles/arc9-special/arcgis9-expands.html)

Now, as you may know: ArcSDE 9.3 supports PostgreSQL 8.3.0/PostGIS
1.3.2 on Windows. Isn't this part of a solution?

An as you wrote initially, isn't it about importing PostGIS layer data
(i.e. no writing back)?

-- Stefan