[postgis-users] NAD conversion problem

Dane Springmeyer blake at hailmail.net
Thu Dec 18 11:13:37 PST 2008

Dylan,

On Dec 17, 2008, at 2:19 PM, Dylan Beaudette wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 11:37 AM, Richard Greenwood
> <richard.greenwood at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I have learned that the DebianGIS packagers are unwilling to
>>> distribute the
>>> grid shift component until there is a licensing statement
>>> available for the
>>> grid shift file .zip file.   I am following up with them. In time
>>> I hope
>>> Debian and Ubuntu will include grid shift files (possibly as an
>>> optional
>>> package).
>
> Thanks for following-up on this. I imagine that quite a number of
> mailing list posts regarding datum shifts can be traced back to this
> very issue!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dylan

Yes, yes I can confirm there have been challenges in the GeoDjango
community for new users. A very common setup is a new user on ubuntu
that installs from packages and hits a wall as the 'Hello World'
application I wrote [1] depends on the 'null' grid for google mercator
transformations and we don't currently have a clean way to check for
these missing files [2].

[1] http://code.google.com/p/geodjango-basic-apps/  and http://code.google.com/p/geodjango-basic-apps/wiki/GeographicAdminQuickStart

[2] http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/9295

Dane