[postgis-users] caching distance calculations

Matthew Rushton mrushton7 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 22 08:52:45 PST 2008

Hi,
 We recently switched from mysql to postgres to get the great spatial support and are looking to leverage it a bit more. One area we are looking at would require a great number of distance calculations (from point to polygon) to be made frequently which we think would be a huge bottleneck. I imagine this a common performance issue others have hit. What is the recommended course of action? Does the database do any caching for example on ST_Distance calculations? My assumption is no. If that's the case does it make sense to do the calculations once and store them in the db (in our case it's the same large set of distance calculations that are made)? I'm just wondering if this is a common practice or discouraged? Thanks.
-Matt