[postgis-users] Strange intersection behavior

Andreas Albarello andreas.albarello at territoriumonline.com
Mon Dec 29 14:52:20 PST 2008

On 29 Dec 2008, at 19:19, Obe, Regina wrote:

> Andreas,
>
> I think you have unearthed one of the cruel lessons of floating
> point math.
>
> Best described in Isaac Kunen's blog.
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/isaac/archive/2008/08/07/the-imprecise-nature-of-geometry.aspx

Thanks a lot, Regina. I feared something like that might be the cause
of all this, but it's certainly reassuring to know that workarounds
using ST_Distance and ST_DWithin with some epsilon value instead of
ST_Intersects are common practice in these cases.

Best regards,
Andreas Albarello
Analysis & SW Development

Territorium Online srl/GmbH
Via Buozzi/Buozzistraße 12 - I 39100 Bolzano/Bozen
email: andreas.albarello at territoriumonline.com
web:   www.territoriumonline.com