[postgis-users] The Old Who is using PostGIS survey again?

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 07:03:35 PST 2008

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 4:21 AM, Paragon Corporation <lr at pcorp.us> wrote:
> Leo and I have a good portion of a PostGIS book written.  Ideally we would
> like to get a publisher to publish it, but seem to be running into the same
> obstacles.  No publisher seems to think people use PostGIS to warrant enough
> demand for a book dedicated to it.
>
> So to make a decent case for a book, can each of you in your own words
> describe
>
> 1) How you use PostGIS?

We use PostGIS in nearly all of our soil survey related research [1],
and it has been an integral part in collaborative work with other
researcher and state agencies. It is the back-end for an online soil
survey application [2]. Some of this has been documented on the
PostGIS case studies page [3].

1. http://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/drupal/node/264
2. http://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/soilsurvey
3. http://postgis.refractions.net/documentation/casestudies/casoil/

> 2) What you find useful about it over anything else?
Most complete vector storage / analysis system available, excellent
support, rapid development, ...

> 3) Why you think there should be any book written focused on its use and of
> course if such a thing were to exist, would you buy it?

The book would probably be most useful to people just getting started.
Although it would be nice to have a book full of handy code snippets--
kind of like the stuff that you post on the mailing list. Perhaps a
PostGIS for power users section would be of interest.

Good luck with the book!

Dylan