[postgis-users] Converting data from SDE 9.3 sql server database to PostgreSQL database with PostGIS geometry.

Toni Hefer THefer at landadvisors.com
Tue Dec 30 12:49:59 PST 2008

Hi - we have created a postgres database and are in the process of copying the + 50 Gb of vector data in about 53 different feature classes into the Postgres database. I am finding some very strange behavior when I use the PG_Geometry keyword, some of which I have saved out in screenshots. I have been using the following procedure to load the data:

·         Because I was getting errors, ArcCatalog was crashing and there were many polygons missing, I have been copying the data into a file based geodatabase, using the geometry fix tool in ArcCatalog and then loading the data from the file based geodatabase.

·         If there was still data missing, I created a feature class and loaded the data without using pg_geometry and the data seemed fine

·         I then tried loading the data from the default geometry feature class into a new feature class using pg_geometry and there seemed to be the same data missing as if I loaded directly from the fbgb

·         I am experiencing strange behavior if I bring the pg_geometry data into ArcMap:

o   Takes a long time to load

o   If I get into an edit session, I can select a couple of polygons but if I try to select a lot it gives me the following error: "Unable to create logfile system tables. User perhaps lacks permissions or resources to create tables[ERROR: schema "thefer" does not exist :: SQL state: 3F000]" which is inconsistent with me being able to edit other data as usual

o   While the same number of records are in the feature class as was in the fgdb, only some of the features are visible (as you can see from first attachment)

o   When I try to use the select tool in ArcMap to select the entire dataset, the following error occurs "There was an error executing the query. Operation Failed[name of database.sde.name of dataset]

o   When  I select a portion of the data that cannot be seen when zoomed to the extents of the dataset, those features can be seen as selected (these features can be seen when you zoom in to them)

·         The third picture is the extent of the data as it should appear.
Is there any information you can give me that would cause this inconsistent and unstable behavior?
I really will appreciate any help you can give me in this regard.
Toni

Toni Hefer
GIS Manager
Land Advisors Organization
4900 North Scottsdale Road, Suite 3000
Scottsdale, Arizona 85251
480.483.8100 | 800.888.0998
480.483.0000 Fax

www.landadvisors.com<http://www.landadvisors.com/>
ü Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.