[postgis-users] PSQL 8.3

Gregory Williamson Gregory.Williamson at digitalglobe.com
Mon Feb 4 15:18:52 PST 2008

I ran postGIs with 8.3Beta (RC 2 and 3) and had no problems in testing ... I didn't try the upgrade script.

I dump the old database in 2 scripts, one data, one ddl. I edit the ddl stuff to remove all postGIS functions and types, etc., and move the index/constraint creation into a separate file. Create the 8.3 db, install the postGIS for it, rename the geometry_columns and spatial_reference tables,run the DDL to build my tables, run the script to add data, copy data & rename the geometry_columns and spatial_reference tables so I have the right data in the right tables, and finally run my DDL to create indexes and constraints. Worked like a charm. Bit fiddly though.

Be interested to hear if the upgrade path works.

Greg W.