[postgis-users] PSQL 8.3

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Mon Feb 4 15:58:26 PST 2008

The "magic upgrade" path...

1 - Compile and install PgSQL 8.3 and latest PostGIS.
2 - Inspect your old PgSQL / PostGIS installation. Find out what
versions of liblwgeom you have. In your new installation, create
symlinks so that the old files appear to exist in the new installation.
3 - Dump your old database. Don't do anything special, just dump the
whole thing.
4 - Check and see if there are explicit paths to liblwgeom in the
dump file. If there are, pass the file through sed and flip them to
$libdir/liblwgeom.so.
5 - Create a blank database in your new instance. Do *not* install
PostGIS.
6 - psql -f dumpfile the old database into the new instance. Cross
fingers. Pray.

This works (for small enough version changes) because the new
versions of PostGIS don't tend to change the internal function names
of things, old PostGIS SQL can usually be linked against new versions
of the library.

Run the soft upgrade process on your new database to clean up any
remaining issues.

P.