[postgis-users] Adding a new GEOS call to PostGIS

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Tue Feb 12 11:01:16 PST 2008

On 12-Feb-08, at 10:30 AM, Dylan Beaudette wrote:

> Am I correct in understanding that the ST_SimplifyPreserveTopology
> () function
> would give topologically correct polygons after simplification? In
> other
> words, it would preserve adjacency after simplification?

No, incorrect, perhaps this calls for a renaming. It will preserve
validity, that is, each individual polygon will remain topologically
correct.

> I have noticed that running simplify() on a set of adjacent
> polygons sometimes
> has the not-so-nice result of causing previously overlapping (dang
> simple
> features!) edges to separate.

Sorry, that remains a hard problem to crack. I doubt anything short
of a build-coverage/simplify-edges/extract-polygons approach is going
to do it.

P.

> Dylan
>

>> On Feb 8, 2008, at 10:21 PM, Brian Hamlin wrote:
>>> It recently came up in the IRC channel FreeNode #postgis
>>> that there is a GEOS TopologyPreserveSimplify, in addition
>>> to Simplify2D.
>>>
>>> I did a bit of checking just now.. on my machine, I see
>>> nm /usr/local/pgsql/lib/liblwgeom.1.3.so
>>>
>>> _LWGEOM_simplify2d
>>> _pg_finfo_LWGEOM_simplify2d