[postgis-users] Book on Open Source sociology (was: FOSS GIS clients)

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Sat Jan 5 14:31:54 PST 2008

> On 06/01/2008, dnrg <dananrg at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> If anyone can recommend a good book on the sociology
> of open source communities, I'm all eyes.

You might look at WIKINOMICS (How mass collaboration changes everything), by
Don Tapscott & Anthony Williams.

See:  http://www.wikinomics.com/

Not strictly about Open Source, although OS, (particularly Linux & Apache) is
referred to throughout the book, but it discusses collaborative models for
business success, as well as software development, & why this is the way
forward.

The main idea behind it (well, one of them) is that for any
business/organisation there is almost always more expertise in any given area
outside the organisation than inside, and being able to tap into that
expertise, especially via the internet, to enhance your in-house capabilities
is the way to go.

Cheers,

  Brent Wood