[postgis-users] FOSS GIS clients - thanks for all the replies, on and offline

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Sat Jan 5 16:16:36 PST 2008

Hi

I think the seminal work on the open development process is 'The
Cathedral and the Bazaar' by Eric Raymond.

I would second that the discussion held here represents extreme points
of view perhaps to make for a more lucid debate. In reality we as
developers do greatly care about our users, get upset when people
criticise our work, and generally have human reactions to these
things. In most case the only reward and pleasure we get from our hard
work is seeing our work 'out in the wild', being used and enjoyed by
people.

Regarding QGIS reading your large dataset, I would suggest to ensure
you have spatial index (using option in vector layer properties
dialog) built for the dataset and use scale dependent rendering.

Best Regards

Tim