[postgis-users] PostGIS Jobs - UK, Worldwide

lexner at gmail.com lexner at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 08:58:31 PST 2008

Hi,

As a GIS industry newcomer, I'm in process of prioritizing my research
steps, selecting tools and technologies that would be mostly essential
and relevant for future job search.

Concerning client software it is quite simple - without ArcGIS you'll
definitely would be out of range. But server mapping has several
possibilities - whether to focus on spatial databases - mostly Oracle
Spatial or PostGIS, or to look for server middleware like
GeoServer\MapServer or Oracle MapViewwer. I'm from Oracle space, so
their products are mostly familiar to me.

I like PostGIS for its simplicity, free availability and great community
support. I've already made some demo stands with uDig\qgis with PostGIS
backend and tuned GeoServer to work with PostGIS layers. But the
question is - are there serious business demand for OpenGIS profies?
monster.co.uk, reed.co.uk and gis-jobs.co.uk return no (zero) jobs with
postgis keyword.

What whould you suggest?

Thanks and best regards,
Alex