[postgis-users] PostGIS / PostgreSQL binaries for RedHat/Itanium II?

dnrg dananrg at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 18 05:56:33 PST 2008

In my day job, we are architecting an ArcSDE on Oracle
Enterprise GIS. ESRI is pushing its ST_GEOMETRY
Spatial Data Type for Oracle, and that's fab. I want
to use it.

Evidently, ROI is greatest when you can bring your
spatial data to the greatest number of people in an
Enterprise, and that includes non-GIS clients using
spatial operators--if, of course, it helps them do
their jobs better.

Our database group is an HP/Oracle shop. That's fixed
for now. And they'd like to use RedHat/Itanium II as a
platform for SDE.

Here's the rub: while ST_GEOMETRY will work on
RedHat/Itanium II, to use the spatial SQL operators,
binaries have to be installed on the Oracle server.
And ESRI simply doesn't provide those binaries for
RedHat/Itanium II (although it does provide them for
RedHat/Intel).

So... here's my question:

Are there pre-compiled binaries available for
PostGIS/PostgreSQL for RedHat/Itanium II.

The whole point of using Itanium II servers, as I
understand it, is to do more with less--to get more
bang for one's computational buck. Is Itanium II
really such a rare/boutique platform as ESRI seems to
believe it to be by not supporting it fully?

Spatially,

   Dana

P.S. What's the "best" Enterpise class Linux for
PostGIS/PostgreSQL? I hear Centos and WhiteHat are
RedHat Enterprise without the logos.

What Enterprise Linux do people here use for
PostGIS/PostgreSQL (for personal work where there is
little to no funding)?