[postgis-users] PostGIS / PostgreSQL binaries for RedHat/Itanium II?

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Fri Jan 18 08:27:50 PST 2008

On Jan 18, 2008, at 5:56 AM, dnrg wrote:

> Are there pre-compiled binaries available for
> PostGIS/PostgreSQL for RedHat/Itanium II.

Check with EnterpriseDB, they are the only ones I can imagine both
with binaries for oddball architectures.

>  Is Itanium II
> really such a rare/boutique platform as ESRI seems to
> believe it to be by not supporting it fully?

Yes, yes it is. I wouldn't spend any money on it, myself, until it
proves itself in the market (and it has had a lot of time to do so,
with little avail thus far). It might be great, but so was the DEC
Alpha.

> P.S. What's the "best" Enterpise class Linux for
> PostGIS/PostgreSQL? I hear Centos and WhiteHat are
> RedHat Enterprise without the logos.

Centos I have heard of. WhiteHat I have not. Yes, that is what they are.

> What Enterprise Linux do people here use for
> PostGIS/PostgreSQL (for personal work where there is
> little to no funding)?

Centos.